Tuesday 31 January 2012

Busy on the Allotment

I've been busy on the allotment today digging, weeding, making paths & generally clearing up. There were snow flurries throughout the day and it was bitterly cold but I kept going (anyone who saw me must have thought I was totally mad) and unusually for me I kept my woolly hat on all day! I'm planning to plant my fruit bushes soon (as long as the snow doesn't come) -blackcurrants, redcurrants, raspberries, blueberries & gooseberries and also some fruit trees that arrived today - apple, pear, plum & cherry. Hopefully I'll get enough fruit to make some lovely jam as I'm just on my last jar of apple & raspberry jam from the summer. 
Great Spotted Woodpecker © Colin Varndell
I've recently hang bird feeders from an old plum tree on my plot and saw lots of birds today - blue tits, great tits, sparrows & a robin. Also what I believe to be a Great Spotted Woodpecker that landed in an old plum tree a few plots away. Worth getting cold for! I wonder if it visits my bird feeders when I'm not there? I've been informed that there used to be lots of woodpeckers in the mature trees bordering the allotments but their numbers have declined over the years so I'm really pleased to have seen two recently (or maybe the same one twice). 

1 comment:

  1. The lesser wood pecker looks beautiful, you are lucky to see such a wonderful bird. :)
    -Becky x

    ReplyDelete