Saturday 18 August 2012

The Royal Pavilion, Brighton

Here are a few pictures of the Royal Pavilion I visited in Brighton a couple of weeks ago. A really beautiful building and well worth a visit.
I love the combination of domes, minarets, pinnacles and chimneystacks.
The gardens surrounding the palace were really pretty too with lots of places to sit and admire the building.
The Pavilion was built for the Prince Regent, later King George IV, in stages between 1787 and 1823. A farmhouse originally stood on the land, then a modest marine pavilion which was then transformed into an oriental, Indian style palace by John Nash in 1815.  







Well I've just finished my first week of Radiotherapy and I'm really glad the weekend's here so I can have a break from travelling up to London in the heat. The trains have been really busy which I hate but I'll just have to grin and bare it for a few weeks more!
Wishing you all a lovely weekend.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jacqui: Beautiful pavillion and the hollyhocks in the foreground are really something. You have so many pretty buildings to look at. I'm so glad you have finished with your first week and will get a little rest in between. Stiff upper lip, it will be over soon and all worth it..Happy Weekend..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jacqui. I've loved your pics of Brighton. My eldest son and his wife lived there for a time when they were first married, and it was a place I had never been to before. We went several times to stay and I really liked it. Then they moved away and we have never been back since. !! Such is life ! I don't envy you those hot train journeys - it must be terribly tiring even without adding the treatment on top. Maybe this coming week will be a little cooler. I keep thinking of you - have a relaxing weekend. Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jacqui, Great photos of Brighton Pavillion! It remains a favourite place of ours even though we have not been for many years. It's one of the first really fascinating places I headed when I moved to England from California in the 70s. It is just surreal! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your photos!! Love the pictures of all the castles!! Hoping you enjoyed your weekend.

    chris

    ReplyDelete